For me SIP is the best option with most countries that I call being free and the UK being equal or cheaper than my current land line carrier. However my family in the UK has a better deal with Skype when the majority of the calls are national (1.4p per min and 4.5p per call). So if they have a stand alone Skype phone and I have SIP phones, should we not be able to call each other for free?
My options are:
- PSGw requires an additional pc and single Skype account per pc
- Skype Asterisk channel (chan_skype) Can only run on Asterisk but can run multiple instances of Skype through vnc
Not for me:
- ‘Uplink Skype to SIP Adapter’ (windows required)
- CooSIP, no idea about price and it’s not available yet
- Skip2PBX, way too expensive
- Pika Connect for Skype, way too expensive hardware & licenses [2009-01-07 no more references to Skype on their site]
chan_skype it will be…
Edit (23/05/2007): Well it’s end of May and I haven’t been able to spend more time on this yet, if you want to do this on Asterisk then no problem but on AsteriskNOW it’s not that easy.